Who doesn't love a good old popsicle pop? And what if you could make one of your own? And better still, a healthy pop at that (or at least healthier than the store-bought icy-lollies)?
You see the store-bought popsicles contain artificial sweeteners and they're basically loaded with vegetable oil (and NO milk). Those sugar-laced lollies are unhealthy.
How are store-bought ice creams unhealthy?
According to Spoon University, these ice creams/popsicles are energy dense food with a high content of carbohydrates, sugar, and fat. With a carbohydrate count at about 15 grams in a one-half-cup serving, 20-30 grams of sugar depending on the flavor and 10-20 grams of fat. Additionally, according to a news article, the National Institutes of Health says, ice cream contains Trehalose, an artificial sugar that acts as both a sweetener and a texturizing agent. It has been linked to serious gut infection that leads to other health problems.
Wouldn't it be nicer if you made your own popsicle? Rich and organic ingredients, natural fruits, and no artificial sweeteners?
Making your own popsicle is a far healthier option and you can alter it as per your kids' taste. It’s also the best way to feed your little ones with fruits and vegetables that they would otherwise avoid because no one disapproves of popsicles, right? Not even us.
Yes, it’s that time of year where we would give anything to cool down and a glass of cold water is just not it! So, come along and discover the best healthy popsicle ingredients for your little ones and try some of our yummy-licious recipes. Your kids will go yum!
1. Avocado Lime Popsicles:
1. One avocado
2. One lime
3. One cup of water
4. Two tbsps of Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
5. ¼ Cup of raisins, almonds, and pistachios (powdered) or Slurrp Farm Nut Powder
1. Add avocados, lemon juice, water, and jaggery powder in a mixer. Blend them together.
2. Add powdered almonds and pistachios in the mix followed by raisins. Stir well.
3. Pour the avocado-jaggery mixture into popsicle molds and freeze for at least three hours and dip it in the goodness of melted chocolate and enjoy!
2. Fresh Fruit Pop
1. One cup plain yogurt
2. Three to four fresh strawberries
3. Two kiwi fruits
4. Two tbsp Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder (adjust to taste)
1. Add the strawberries, kiwi, and yogurt in a mixer. Blend them well. Add the jaggery powder to it and stir for another few seconds.
2. Cut small pieces of the strawberries and kiwi. Arrange them in the popsicle molds.
3. Add the mixture in the popsicle mold to cover the fruits. Insert popsicle sticks and freeze for about three hours.
4. Your healthy popsicles are ready to be served to the little ones
3. Orange Creamsicle Popsicle:
1. Three medium oranges (peeled)
2. One packet of coconut milk (full fat)- 1/2 Kilo
3. Two tsp pure vanilla extract
4. Two tbsp Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
1. Add oranges and coconut milk in a blender until completely smooth.
2. Pour vanilla extract and jaggery powder to the mixture.
3. Add the puree into the popsicle molds and insert the popsicle stick into them.
4. Make about 8 popsicles and freeze them for 3-4 hours.
5. The popsicles are ready to be slurped by your tiny tots.
4. Rose Strawberry Banana Popsicle:
1. One cup of almond milk (unsweetened)
2. ½ Cup cashews
3. ¼ Cup de-seeded dates
4. One tbsp pure rosewater
5. One tsp vanilla extract
6. Pinch of salt
7. Two frozen bananas
8. Two tbsp Slurrp Farm Banana Powder
9. Two cups of frozen strawberries
1. Add almond milk, banana powder, cashews, dates, rosewater, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt into a mixer.
2. Blend until the ingredients are completely pulverized, and the mixture is smooth.
3. Add frozen bananas and strawberries into the mixture and blend well until smooth yet frozen.
4. Pour the mixture into the popsicle molds and freeze it for four hours.
5. Serve and admire the delicious popsicles together with your kids
5. Jaggery Pop - Mangalorean Style:
1. One cup of water
2. ¾ Cup Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
3. Eight peppercorns, coarsely crushed
4. One tbsp cardamom powder
5. Two teaspoons freshly grated coconut (optional)
6. ½ Cup milk
1. Heat water in a pan and bring it to boil. Add jaggery powder and stir continuously to make a thick mixture. Ensure no lumps are formed.
2. Add peppercorns and grated coconut and cook for two minutes on a medium flame. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool down.
3. Add milk and cardamom powder to the mixture. Put the mixture in popsicle moulds and allow them to freeze for 45 minutes.
4. Serve and enjoy your homemade pops with the little ones.