By Dipanditta Dutta
Gur Para are a sweet snack that’s enjoyed cross India for its iconic crunch and melt-in-mouth texture. My version is super easy to make and is baked instead of fried, making it great as a healthy snack to share with your family and friends. This jaggery sweet is made with two simple elements: a jaggery syrup and a dough. Incorporate the ghee and jaggery syrup into the dough for a lovely soft interior and golden brown exterior that you can cut into fun shapes to bring a smile on your family’s faces!
What is gur pare?
Gur Para is an authentic and delectable Punjabi treat that is made on special occasions. Gur pare are similar to Shakarpare which are sugar coated sweets The only difference is the sweeteners. Gur pare are coated in gur/jaggery syrup, and shakarpare are coated in sugar syrup. Because of jaggery/Gur, these sweet bites have a different flavor as compared to ones prepared with sugar.
Why gur pare is a winter special recipe?
Jaggery is known to produce heat in our body which is why it is consumed mainly in winters. It has a hot potency which helps treat the common cold, cough and flu during the winter season.
Now, that you know how good Jaggery is for you, do try this guilt-free, easy to make and kid-friendly winter special recipe at home. And did I forgot to mention how my little one couldn’t stop munching on it!
Gur pare prepared with jaggery are relished by all ages, especially during winters. You can even call it a winter special recipe. I wanted to make these sweet snacks at home and thought of trying a baked version instead of deep frying them. To my surprise, they turned out so well. The baked gur para is flaky, crispy and so easy to make. I used fennel seeds to give some flavor to the jaggery recipe and it did give it a nice aroma and flavor. However, if you are not a fan, you can leave it out. You can use other spices like cardamom and cinnamon too.
This jaggery sweet is a great homemade gift because of its long shelf life. It can be stored for up to 2 months in an airtight container. This is a super simple recipe that only requires a few ingredients.
Why I love Baked Gur Para:
1. It’s free from refined-sugar
2. Tasty treat for your sweet cravings.
3. Pairs well with chai, coffee or milk
4. packed with flavors of ghee and fennel
Jaggery Sweets For Winters - Baked Gur Pare
1. One cup whole wheat flour
2. 1/4 Cup sooji
3. 1/2 Cup of Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
4. 1-2 Tbsp of white sesame seeds
5. 1/3 Cup of ghee
6. One tsp fennel seeds
7. 1/2 Tsp baking powder
8. Salt – a pinch
Click to watch the video:
1. Dissolve Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder with 1 cup hot water.
2. In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (whole wheat flour, sooji, sesame seeds, baking powder, fennel seeds and salt). Add ghee and combine well so that dry mixture is well coated.
3. Add Jaggery water to the dry mix little at a time. Combine everything to form dough. Let the dough rest for 10 mins.
4. Divide the dough into 2 balls and roll out into 1.5 inch thick and cut into squares.
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 degree Celsius for 15 mins.