By Ayesha Nallaseth
For anyone who is on a pursuit to taste exotic and new flavors, should definitely give millet momos a try. Everyone loves momos, and you can find food stalls selling them in practically every corner of the city. But considering the present state of affairs, being quarantined at home with my family I decided to revive an old recipe and give it a healthy twist.
Momos for me are more than food. They are wrapped with love and my Maa would make it at home, and it was almost a family affair rolling and packing the Momos. I just can’t get enough of the millet momos recipe my mother taught me and I am so grateful for this steamed wonder.
These popular street panfried momos stand as the most favorite food for kids today. A versatile food that it is, we have a wide variety available from chicken, mutton to what we have here, vegetable millet momos. Since the kids love the dish so much, it is always great to make it at home. You just need to master the technique and you can twist them to suit your palate.
These millet momos are packed with healthy veggies like carrots and cabbage sauteed with onion, garlic and soya nuggets. The millet momos tastes delicious and makes a perfect snack for the kids as well. It is important that all ingredients are fresh and the Momos are prepared just before consumption because that’s the way they taste best!
Not for a fraction of second will I be compromising with the taste. In fact, along with taste, you will be adding more nutrition and freshness while enjoying this delicious platter at the comfort of your home.
2. ¼ Cup Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder
3. One tsp salt
4. 1/3 Cup warm water (approximately)
1. One tbsp olive oil
2. One onion finely chopped
3. One tbsp garlic finely chopped
4. One cup cabbage finely chopped
5. ¼ Cup carrot finely chopped
6. ¼ Cup capsicum finely chopped
7. ½ Cup soya nuggets finely chopped
9. One tbsp light soya
10. One tsp Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
11. 2 Tbsp spring onions (greens)
12. ¼ Cup warm water for steaming
1. Add all the dough ingredients in a bowl and knead it well together. Till you get a soft dough, cover the dough and allow it to rest for 10-15 minutes.
For the Filling
1. Take a pan heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic till golden brown.
2. Then saute the capsicum and carrot and cook for 30 seconds.
3. Then add the cabbage, soya, jaggery, salt, and soy sauce.
4. Remove in a bowl and mix in the spring onions allow the mixture to cool down.
1. Divide the dough equally parts and roll out each into a 31/2 inch circle.
2. Place the filling in the center, lightly moisten the edges by applying water and then bring both sides towards each other.
3. Place the dumplings in between your thumb and index finger and just press together making to folds.
4. Once all are done heat a pan with a little oil. Place the millet momos in and cook till you get a golden brown color.
5. Then add 1/4th cup water and cover the pan and cook till the water evaporates.
6. Serve hot with your favorite sauce.
Check out the video for stepwise method
|My house is wafting with the aroma and is enough to rev my appetite. What are you waiting for? Show us how did it the millet momos turn out for you and tag us on Instagram @SlurrpFarm.|