By Dipandita Dutta
Baking a batch of cookies, especially during winters can be an irreversible experience. Today, I'm baking this delicious oats recipe that has just the right combination of crisp from the outside, chewy on the inside. Also loaded with butter and delicious chocolate chips. This recipe is sure to impress little ones and the loved ones. What's more is that you could also make in plenty and gift them as presents during Christmas.
Being a mum to two little munchkin - I have been making a lot of recipes using oats as the core ingredient. Some of the best signature healthy breakfast oats recipes I'm very proud of are: porridge oats, oats upma, and carrot kheer.
This oats recipe is free from refined sugar as it is sweetened with jaggery (unrefined sugar obtained from raw, concentrated sugarcane juice). If there is no jaggery at home, then you may use brown sugar, instead. I also put some nuts (chopped cashews and almonds) in the cookies for the lovely crunch. You may skip this step in case your kids are allergic to nuts.
Some of the healthy breakfast oats recipes made with milk are best suited for babies and toddlers. However, please ensure that your little one is not lactose tolerant. Oats are increasingly used to make cookies at home because biscuits in the market are made with refined flour and sugar. Which is my I am sharing with you my choco-chip oats recipe - cookies with the goodness of oats and jaggery.
How to make oatmeal powder:
1. Add 1 to 2 cups of oats to a blender or food processor.
2. Place the lid on, and give it a go at high speed until the oats turn into a fine powder.
3. Transfer to an air-tight container and store in the pantry for about 3 months.
Oats is a whole-grain food loaded with vitamins and minerals. It is a good source of fiber, fat, and protein. What’s more? Oatmeal’s strong nutritional profile facilitates the baby's growth and development.
Some tips for making oats recipe:
1. If you like really soft and chewy cookies, make sure not to over bake them. They’re done when the edges are lightly browned and the centre still looks very unset. They will continue to cook and firm up once you take them out of the oven.
2. Unless otherwise specified, always use softened butter. The right consistency of butter helps in getting the perfect cookie texture.
Oats Recipe - Choco Chip Cookies
1. 1/2 Cup of Slurrp Farm Oats Powder
2. 1/4 of Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder
3. 3 Tbsp of Slurrp Jaggery Powder
4. 2 Tbsp of cocoa powder
5. 1/4 butter (softened)
6. 2 Tbsp of instant oats
7. 1/2 Tsp baking powder
8. 1/2 Tsp vanilla extract
9. 2 Tbsp sugar free chocolate chips
10. 2 Tbsp of chopped fruits
11. 2 Tbsp of milk
12. A pinch of salt
Watch the video:
1. Using a hand whisk or electric beater, cream butter and Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder until light and fluffy.
2. Mix together all the dry ingredients (Slurrp Farm Oats Powder, Slurrp Farm Brown Rice Powder, cocoa powder, instant oats, baking powder, baking soda) with a pinch of salt.
3. Add dry mix to the butter and jaggery mix. Add 2 tbsp milk, ½ tsp vanilla extract and chopped dry fruits. In this recipe, almonds and black raisins were used. Combine everything to get nice cookie dough which should be stiff enough to hold shape.
4. Scoop out equal portions of the dough and shape them into roundels. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180 degree Celsius for 15 to 18 mins. Cookies will be crispy on outside and soft in center.