Winter arrived early in northern parts of India and with temperatures dipping across the country, I've been looking for recipes of warming foods. My fridge is loaded with green leafy veggies, such as palak (spinach), methi (fenugreek), gajar (carrots), mooli (radish) and a whole lot of other winter foods. But, the one question that was bothering me up until last month was where to buy organic jaggery powder?
Jaggery, or organic gud as it is known in India is a super food. It generates heat in the body. The consumption of gur sees a spike around cold months. Besides, the benefits of organic jaggery powder are unbeatable (which is why our grandparents would always consume a handful after finishing their meals).
What is organic jaggery powder?
The most common jaggery (or gur) is made from unrefined sugar and is prepared by boiling raw, concentrated sugar cane juice till it solidifies. Jaggery is also prepared from coconut and date palm sap.
Most jaggery lovers often ask if there's a difference between jaggery powder and organic jaggery powder. The answer is quite simple. Organic jaggery powder is prepared by pressing organic sugarcane/coconut/date palm sap, which is why it retains natural vitamins and minerals otherwise missing in refined sugar.
What are the benefits of organic jaggery powder?
1. Consuming the permissible amount of organic jaggery powder or organic gud can prevents constipation. Jaggery is known to activate the digestive enzymes in our body, thus helps in the proper digestion of food.
2. Jaggery helps cleanse the liver by flushing out nasty toxins from the body.
3. Jaggery is loaded with antioxidants and minerals like zinc and selenium that prevent free-radicals. It helps boost resistance against infections, which is why we call jaggery a natural immune booster!
There are many other benefits of organic jaggery powder
Good jaggery or organic gud is a healthy substitute for sugar. Take a look at some easy jaggery powder recipes that can be made at home using SF Organic jaggery powder.
Where to buy organic jaggery powder?
Slurrp Farm, India's leading healthy kids' food brand also offers a range of add-ons, such as immunity-boosting nut powder, brain-boosting chia seeds and natural sweetener - natural and organic jaggery powder online.
It is 100% natural and chemical free jaggery powder, an excellent alternative to refined white sugar. The best organic jaggery powder online, it is a rich source of iron and boosts digestion. What's more? There are no preservatives, no additives, and no chemical processing. A 300 gram pack with a shelf life of 6 months is priced at 250 INR only.
Have you tried this super immunity-boosting combo?
According to NDTV.com, here's a list of points to keep in mind when purchasing organic jaggery powder online or from the retail stores:
1. Good quality jaggery never tastes salty. If it does, this may indicate a high concentration of mineral salts that is an indicator that the gur in question is not good
2. Caramelized jaggery always tastes slightly bitter, and that's again an indicator of poor quality. The process of caramelization during the boiling process is flawed.
3. A good quality jaggery will never have crystals in it. Presence of crystals indicates that the jaggery may have gone through other non-recommended processes (to make it taste sweet - that's an artificial sweetening process).
4. The colour of the jaggery also plays an important role in identifying purity. Good quality natural or organic jaggery powder should be dark brown. All the other colors indicate adulteration.