BY DIPANDITA DUTTA
Ragi recipe for babies is one of the best breakfast options to include not just for babies and toddlers but for everyone. Ragi is a superfood rich in iron and calcium. I use to make plain ragi porridge with homemade sprouted ragi flour. But since today I wanted to skip the cumbersome process of sprouting the ragi, I am going to use readymade ragi powder for babies from Slurrp Farm.
If you want to know how to prepare a homemade sprouted ragi powder recipe for babies, do click on this link.
Benefits of ragi powder for babies:
1. Ragi helps boost the bone-strengthening material in the human body.
2. Ragi is packed with phosphorus that also maintains dental health, digestion and balances the pH levels in our body.
3. Ragi is high on fiber that helps in weight loss. As for babies and kids, it keeps their little tummies full for a longer period of time.
4. Ragi is an excellent source of iron, especially helpful if consumed by those with low hemoglobin levels.
Did you know that Ragi (and ragi powder) contains more calcium than any other cereal?
Yes! Indeed and even more than milk! Besides, Ragi powder can help strengthen those baby bones? It’s also high in fiber and can keep your baby’s tummy full for a long- a long time. Isn’t that great?
Why I love the recipe of apple ragi porridge:
1. I am sure of using all the fresh ingredients.
2. The readymade ragi powder used does not have to contain preservatives to increase its self-life.
3. Lot of love goes into the preparation.
Apple ragi porridge can be given to babies from 6 months after you have introduced ragi and apple separately. We have not added any sweet to the recipe. The natural sweetness of apples is enough for babies. It is optional to add jaggery or cinnamon powder to enhance the taste of this ragi recipe for babies. Add this apple ragi porridge to your baby's diet to provide them the essential nutrients. It is certainly better the packaged foods and you can alter its ingredients according to your baby's needs. So, go ahead and try this recipe now and feed it to your little one.
1. 2 tbsp of Slurrp Farm Sprouted Ragi Powder
2. tbsp of Slurrp Farm Jaggery Powder
3. ¼ cup of apple puree
4. 1 tsp of ghee/clarified butter
5. 1 cup of water
1. Boil 1 cup water in a pan. Dissolve 1 tbsp of jaggery powder in a separate bowl
2. Once the water comes to a boil, gradually add sprouted ragi powder, stirring continuously to dissolve lumps. Cook for 2 to 3 mins in low flame
3. Add jaggery water to it and apple puree. Stir the porridge mixture continuously in low flame
4. Add 1 tsp ghee and serve the porridge warm